What being a Sheet Metal Worker is about
Sheet Metal Workers fabricate, install, and maintain heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning (HVAC) duct systems in residential, commercial and industrial applications. Architectural applications include metal and copper roofs, metal siding, gutters, downspouts, cornices and copings. Sheet Metal Workers’ are also responsible for the fabrication of stainless steel kitchen equipment and heavy iron industrial systems which include blow pipe and exhaust systems and many other products made from various types of metal. In addition, some Sheet Metal Workers specialize in testing, balancing, adjusting, and servicing existing air-conditioning and ventilation systems in order to ensure they’re functioning properly and to improve their energy efficiency. Sheet Metal Workers may also work as detailers drawing the mechanical systems for a project using the latest computer aided drawing programs. The Sheet Metal Worker works both inside and out, with a majority of the work being performed in the shop where metal is fabricated and shipped to the jobsite for installation. Much of the work requires the ability to climb ladders and work on lifts and scaffolds. The work also requires working with power tools and metal with sharp edges, so it’s imperative to always be safety conscious.
- Age 18 or older
- Minimum Education: High School Diploma or GED
- Must be able to pass drug screen
- Good physical condition
- Mechanical aptitude
- A good working knowledge of math and mechanical drawing
- The ability to understand and interpret blueprints.
- Recommended High School Courses: General Math, Geometry, Trigonometry, Mechanical Drawing, Physics, and General Science.
Sheet Metal Workers Apprenticeship Program
- Complete a personal interview and Work Keys Aptitude test
- Length of Indentureship (Apprenticeship): 5 years
- Length of classroom instruction: 196 hours/year minimum
- Length of probationary period: 6 months
- The apprentice is paid while attending daytime school
- Upon successful completion of training the apprentice will receive an Associate’s Degree in Applied Science from Ivy Tech.
How to Apply
Apply online at michianasheetmetal.com or in person at: