What being a Elevator Constructor is about
Elevator Constructors require high levels of concentration and knowledge of hydraulics, electricity, and computer electronics in order to install, repair and maintain hydraulic or electric freight or passenger elevators, escalators, moving sidewalks, and dumbwaiters. It involves unloading, moving, and lifting tools and equipment that can way upwards of 100 pounds from vehicles to work areas. Elevator Constructors are also responsible to clean elevator car tops, machine rooms, pits, rails, and hoist ways in work areas that could be at great heights, in non-controlled climate conditions, or in small cramped spaces.
- Age 18 or older
- Minimum Education: High School Diploma or GED
- Valid Driver’s License – Ability and willingness to travel up to 95% of the time.
- Must be able to pass drug screen
- Good physical condition
- Recommended High School Courses: General Math, Algebra, Geometry, General Science and Shop.
- Ability to perceive different colors and communicate verbally.
Elevator Constructor Apprenticeship Program
- Applicant must complete application, personal interview, and receive a qualified score on the aptitude test.
- Length of Indentureship (Apprenticeship): 5 years
- Minimum hours of related classroom training: 144 hours/year
- Length of probationary period: 12 to 18 months dependent on hours worked/month.
- The term of apprenticeship shall not be less than 8,000 hours
How to Apply
Applications may be obtained by calling the National Elevator Industry Educational Program at (248)451-9266.